Boise DSA

Democratic Socialists of America

twitter calendar facebook email rss
Steering Committee (07-18)

When: July 25th, 2018 - 7 PM

Where: Goldy’s Corner

What: Steering Committee. Planning August events.

All are welcome!


Agenda

  • August General Meeting
    • Labor history
    • Folk music hootenanny
  • August Steering Committee Meeting
  • AJJ Tabling August 3rd
  • Discuss potential action campaigns
  • Planning future meetings/topics

Minutes

Table of Contents

  1. Minutes
    1. August General Meeting
    2. Steering Committee meetin
    3. AJJ Tabling
    4. Prison strike
    5. Other future actions
    6. Future meetings

Agenda:

  • August General Meeting
    • Labor history
    • Folk music hootenanny
  • Support prison strike vote
  • August Steering Committee Meeting
  • AJJ Tabling August 3rd

  • Discuss potential action campaigns

  • Planning future meetings/topics

Minutes

August General Meeting

Rob: Richie probably cannot present this month Emily: Rachel hosts a podcast an would like to discuss a bit Andrew: James from SLC DSA wants to play a labor/folk set on the 17th Emily: Can we still do a memorial for the anniversary of Charlottesville?

We can do a small reflection at the beginning of the meeting Emily: Where will we hold the meeting?

at Xanadu (Robert and Chris) Agenda:

  • 6:30 - Intro to DSA by Robert
  • 7:00 - Idaho Labor History quick lesson
  • 7:15 - Chapter updates
  • 7:30 - Special election
  • 7:45 - Labor history hootenanny

Andrew will send out special election announcement

Steering Committee meetin

08-22-2018 7 PM at Reclaim Idaho office

AJJ Tabling

August 3rd at Linen Building Probably can only bring 4 people in to table Bring lit and swag Signup sheet

Andrew, Max, Josh, Will, Rachel

Prison strike

Will: Started in South Carolina with bad prison conditions and have 10 demands

  • Work strikes
  • Sit ins
  • boycotting
  • hunger strikes

16 states have committed Havent released official list to prevent retaliation We can register as an organization in solidarity We can contact representatives We can get innmates to register for absentee ballots Create pamphlets for tabling and public info

Josh: we could set up a letter writing session after a general meeting Noah: Are there any groups we can get in touch with? Will has contacts

Emily: proposed a future meeting to follow up and plan actions

Other future actions

Josh: Interested in electoral committee Sammi: Lauri Dicare is a good contact. She runs Vanishing Boise Noah: Get DSA involved in racial issues. DSA is often lacking minority representation. We should get in contact with PODER. Emily: Kamil had some suggestions for unpacking priviledge and getting involved in racial issues. Noah: PODER has had a tough time integrating with other groups. Emily: In general meeting we need to emphasize how important connections with other groups are. Noah will update us at next meeting

Future meetings

September was planned for agriculture, but we might be better off talking about climate change. Max: Privatization of water supply is a connected and relavent issue Noah can do a short presentation We will talk to Dave as well

End: 8:21